Audubon Park Historic District
Audubon Park viewed from the northeast around 1900
This very rare photograph depicts Audubon Park just after the February 1899 blizzard, so around the 16th. The photographer is standing on the hillside above the Boulevard Lafayetts, which is the snow-covered road in the foreground. That group of row houses exists today on the renamed Riverside Drive.
In the middle distance, to the right of center is the Hemlocks, the Grinnell mansion, that the Audubon sons, John Woodhouse and Victor Gifford, originally built "in the chicken yard" and rented to Charles Downer. The next resident was Johnson and then George Blake Grinnell rented it from 1860 to 1864, when he bought it from Georgianna Audubon (Victor's widow) and enlarged it significantly over the next few years. Like the original Audubon house, during the 1870s it gained a mansard roof and bay windows. In the far distance, almost in the center of the trees, is one of the towers of the bridge that connected the two sides of Trinity Cemetery (detail in the green area above).
Tower of bridge connecting two portions of Trinity Cemetery
Image courtesy of Scott T. Robinson