When John James Audubon died in January 1851, his rural home in Northern
Manhattan on the Hudson River was universally known as Minnie's Land, a name
honoring Lucy Audubon and derived from the Scottish term for mother (Minnie) that
Audubon and his sons began using during their stay in Scotland in the 1830s.
Only three years later, when the Audubons began building houses in the Park and
renting them, "some of the gentlemen, friends of the Audubon family, who resided
there after the naturalist’s death," began calling the developing community "Audubon
Park," a name that caught on and remained in use for the next six decades.
So, who coined the name Audubon Park? Find a tantalizing clue on a solitary
hill-top in Brooklyn's Green-Wood Cemetery here.